Where was I? Ah, yes. No fantasy sports teams to manage until April. Certainly there are priorities. My family. My job. My health. My finances. After these things are in order, I attend to my hobbies. Besides I can’t seem to escape this fantasy sports thing anyways. Everywhere I look I am being flooded with marketing and advertisements for sites such as cbsportsline, yahoo and cnnsi.com. Over the past few years, fantasy sports has taken off, thanks to the unforeseen amount of attention paid to this hobby within the Internet.
Something just crossed my mind. Is it my enjoyment of fantasy sports that I miss during these two months? Or does it have something to do with the need to maximize my connection to the on-line world? I have been participating in fantasy sports leagues for about 10 years now. 1996 just also happens to be the timeframe that the Internet was picking up speed and the birth of fantasy sports websites were on the horizon. Do I have a problem or an addiction of sort to the Internet? I wonder. I do not own a palm pilot. I do not own an iPod. I do not “google” random things for fun. At first glance, evidence does not fully suggest that I feel a need to be “connected” at all times.
Managing a fantasy team allows me to spend some of my “extra” time searching various websites for critical statistics, trends, professional opinions, non-professional opinions, weather forecasts, and injury updates. This is just the beginning. Trade proposals and transactions need to be made through a cbssportsline website to fellow league members. Of course, these trade offers only come to surface after exchanging a half a dozen emails to gain an idea of what areas my competition is looking to improve upon. Is there really a need for me to be “connected” even more? I spend hours every day at work communicating with associates and clients via email and web-conferences. At home, I monitor my finances, pay bills and adjust my portfolio on a consistent basis. The holiday season just passed where I spent countless hours searching for that perfect gift. I would spend numerous hours perusing various offerings on craigslist and eBay for things that I may or may not have needed. Don’t I spend enough time on-line? Do I really need to spend additional time managing an on-line fantasy baseball team? The short-term answer, I suppose, is yes. Apparently, cbssportline thinks I need to spend more time on their website. Everywhere I look, there are email reminders, pop-up ads, tickers on the television and announcements on various radio stations. The folks at cbssportsline have taken the marketing of fantasy sports to a whole new level. Is their marketing plan working? It must be. Every few days, I wonder if is it too early to purchase my first on-line fantasy cheat-sheet to get a jump on the off-season player rankings. It may be. Heck, the Sox do not even have a final shortstop or first baseman yet. The rankings would be skewed anyhow. Maybe I will wait a few more days and give the gurus a chance to further update their rankings and stat forecasts. I would not want to be misled on draft day.
Something just crossed my mind. Is it my enjoyment of fantasy sports that I miss during these two months? Or does it have something to do with the need to maximize my connection to the on-line world? I have been participating in fantasy sports leagues for about 10 years now. 1996 just also happens to be the timeframe that the Internet was picking up speed and the birth of fantasy sports websites were on the horizon. Do I have a problem or an addiction of sort to the Internet? I wonder. I do not own a palm pilot. I do not own an iPod. I do not “google” random things for fun. At first glance, evidence does not fully suggest that I feel a need to be “connected” at all times.
Managing a fantasy team allows me to spend some of my “extra” time searching various websites for critical statistics, trends, professional opinions, non-professional opinions, weather forecasts, and injury updates. This is just the beginning. Trade proposals and transactions need to be made through a cbssportsline website to fellow league members. Of course, these trade offers only come to surface after exchanging a half a dozen emails to gain an idea of what areas my competition is looking to improve upon. Is there really a need for me to be “connected” even more? I spend hours every day at work communicating with associates and clients via email and web-conferences. At home, I monitor my finances, pay bills and adjust my portfolio on a consistent basis. The holiday season just passed where I spent countless hours searching for that perfect gift. I would spend numerous hours perusing various offerings on craigslist and eBay for things that I may or may not have needed. Don’t I spend enough time on-line? Do I really need to spend additional time managing an on-line fantasy baseball team? The short-term answer, I suppose, is yes. Apparently, cbssportline thinks I need to spend more time on their website. Everywhere I look, there are email reminders, pop-up ads, tickers on the television and announcements on various radio stations. The folks at cbssportsline have taken the marketing of fantasy sports to a whole new level. Is their marketing plan working? It must be. Every few days, I wonder if is it too early to purchase my first on-line fantasy cheat-sheet to get a jump on the off-season player rankings. It may be. Heck, the Sox do not even have a final shortstop or first baseman yet. The rankings would be skewed anyhow. Maybe I will wait a few more days and give the gurus a chance to further update their rankings and stat forecasts. I would not want to be misled on draft day.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home